Frontline Series 2/3 to be released on DVD

Discuss what Working Dog are up to now, and the rest of The Late Show cast - Mick, Jason and Judith

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

Steve
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by Steve » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:58 pm

Which just proves my point even more, that WD aren't the least bit interested in anything they have produced in the past, and that includes TLS. I believe it was only through the enthusiasm and passion of one TM that we got what we did on the Champagne DVD's.
"Sturt was a good film... but it was no Strzelecki"

R.I.P. GTV-9 Bendigo Street, Richmond... A lifetime of memories behind those red brick walls.

Member #46

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:54 pm

While it's great to finally have all of Frontline available, it is a pain how most Aussie comedians don't seem to care about their old stuff or give anything extra to DVD buyers - apart from Micallef and T Martin's work, it's hard to think of a current release with any kind of extra features on offer. Or is it a cost situation, with putting together extras simply too expensive for anyone not willing to do it for nothing?

The Frontline situation is especially annoying as we know there's extra stuff out there they could have stuck on... but nope. And now that it's released 'as is', there's zero chance of a re-release with any extras. Unless we all wish really really hard?
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"

sleeping_pirate
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by sleeping_pirate » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:29 am

Even without there being any extras, I think I'm going to have to buy these dvds when I'm over in Australia!
~Punch a Lapplander and sellotape a rat to your knees~

Chika-Chow

LSNut
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by LSNut » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:32 pm

Hey guys ...

A lovely interview with Rob Sitch from ABC Radio on the 10th anniversary of Frontline..

http://www.abc.net.au/wa/stories/s1104477.htm
Traction Jackson

mootsy
Muckraker

Post by mootsy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:31 pm

I'm rewatching the series at the moment...

It was ahead of its time and constantly hilarious...

It really could have been as big as The Office had it been promoted over seas, i am surprised the UK didn't pick it up, not that it matters, it probably was played at some point....

I think its also my favourite post late show project of all.

managed to find the dvds at a second hand depo for a great price !!!

mootsy
Muckraker

Post by mootsy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:56 pm

sleeping_pirate wrote:Is Frontline as good as TLS? I've never seen it and I'm wondering if it's worth ordering the DVD.
Its probably even better because its more culture/media savvy and it captures the office banter really well. I mean both are different forms of comedy though, TLS is sketch comedy with low budget props, great ideas/sketches mixed with alot of half baked ideas and sketches.

all i know is the entire d-gen/late show crew and post projects seems to suggest destiny for them as a group, sort of like Seinfeld was destined to be successful because Curb your Enthusiasm sort of validates the people involved getting it right if that makes sense..which is similar to a great band forming, it takes a group of driven/talented people to make it happen, if they find each other first, which of course, they did....

although alot of it comes down to almost OCD levels of hard work, literally living and breathing the work behind the scenes always helps. Staying up late and writing ...

that's why the finished products were usually top notch from anything the late show crew are involved in. Its not perfect but its not meant to be, its just hard work and depth of quality behind the scenes.

Even Mick.M who seems to get some flack on this site, just look at all the shows he's involved in and he always has material on hand.

Does anyone remember Harry Shearer, the simpsons guy/spinal tap, being a guest actor on one of the episodes playing the head chief guy? so funny. it might have been for the whole series, can't quite remember.

i'm a bit surprised that there isn't a bigger discussion thread on this show, considerring the show is pretty much a classic.

tommy five-tone
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by tommy five-tone » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:10 pm

mootsy wrote: Does anyone remember Harry Shearer, the simpsons guy/spinal tap, being a guest actor on one of the episodes playing the head chief guy? so funny. it might have been for the whole series, can't quite remember..
I'm pretty sure he played an expert the network flew in from the US to revamp the show with a lot of stupid ideas than didn't work.

I'm also pretty sure this was based on Working Dog's experiences back when they doing doing the breakfast show on MMM and management would bring in "experts" to only made things worse.

madunit
Commercial Crimestopper

Post by madunit » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:33 am

tommy five-tone wrote:I'm pretty sure he played an expert the network flew in from the US to revamp the show with a lot of stupid ideas than didn't work.

I'm also pretty sure this was based on Working Dog's experiences back when they doing doing the breakfast show on MMM and management would bring in "experts" to only made things worse.
Yeah, he was a US advisor, he constantly big noted himself, name dropper etc. Everyone hated him, except for Mike, until Shearer's character suggested Frontline have two hosts. haha

He had dodgy filming and camera angle ideas and used american slang, which inevitably got him the arse.
"Darling, you're shocking, but you're not young."

Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Re: Frontline Series 2/3 to be released on DVD

Post by Bean Is A Carrot » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:22 am

Rob Sitch is interviewed on Triple M Adelaide's Hot Breakfast, 5 June 2013 - download mp3.

gibbon
Muckraker

Re: Frontline Series 2/3 to be released on DVD

Post by gibbon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:32 pm

sorry if this has been posted before, but I watched this doco on Frontline the other day on youtube and thought it was great:

Behind the Frontline
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqHcOzQ7M60