Thank God You're Here - New show from Working Dog in 2006

Discuss what Working Dog are up to now, and the rest of The Late Show cast - Mick, Jason and Judith

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

skel
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by skel » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:37 pm

Man I hate Corrine Grant! I have to tape the Glasshouse just so i can fast forward her bit at the start. "Medical News Dr Wildenstein..." Ha friggin ha. And the stupid facial expressions. We have an heir to Julia Morris...
Singo's a pooftah!

It's a new blog! Read it before I lose interest in it...
http://skelsmad.blogspot.com/http://www.skelsspew.blogspot.com

Dufflecoat Supreme
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by Dufflecoat Supreme » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:44 pm

Tubbs,
It's the stupid facial expressions, the annoying voice and complete lack of humour in anything she says. “I’m a dork, hahaha, isn’t that hilarious Rove/Wil/Hughesey/some other unfunny comedian whose coat tails I’m riding.”
An almost fanatical love of the safari suit.

louie
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by louie » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:13 pm

i did a stand up gig with corrine grant couple months back. it was really really bad. i'd hate to see an hour of it.
she made feel really good about my work. so it wasn't all bad.

LSNut
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by LSNut » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:46 pm

Agghh Corinne Grant isnt the worst chick doing comedy out there.. again at least she has a 'strong' kind of personality ala. Kate Langbroek - but I agree she can a bit giggly annoying ...

Oh - just dawned on me listening to podcast of Get This that one of the 'straight' actors in TGYH is actaully Ed Kavalee - Tony's co-host on Get This ...
Traction Jackson

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:07 pm

There seems to be a big market at the moment for comedians who are hip over being funny - Wil Anderson, Rove and Cornine Grant leap to mind. They look good on TV, so no-one seems to mind that the funny stuff just isn't there. It'd be interesting to seem them dumped on a show like TGYH, just to see if they could be funny under pressure or whether they'd simply pull faces and drag out the wacky voices once again. My money's on the latter...
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"

RealInspectorShane
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by RealInspectorShane » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:44 am

I was a bit worried about tonight's episode, after hearing that Fifi Box is again appearing on there. Thankfully, Shaun Micallef is also participating, so it can't be all bad. 8)
"Bugger the Institute Jock!"

skel
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by skel » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:15 pm

Why do people keep defending Kate Langbroek and Corrine Grant and Fifi Box by saying they have "strong personalities". No they don't! They don't have any personality whatsoever. Kate is a bogan who needs to be dumped in a pit of lava, Corrine seems to think being a dork is cute and funny. Last time I check I didnt know any cute, funny dorks. Fifi Box is so stupid she didnt know her brothers band were good. Idiots! Call me old fashioned but I though part of being a commedian was having the ability to be funny. This is an ability neither of these ladies posess. On another subject, does anyone find Kathy Griffin funny? (Ignore that show she was in with Brooke Sheilds though.)
Singo's a pooftah!

It's a new blog! Read it before I lose interest in it...
http://skelsmad.blogspot.com/http://www.skelsspew.blogspot.com

Mason Hell-Cat
Champagne Comedian

Post by Mason Hell-Cat » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:48 am

skel, Im with ya all the way buddy!!! I have never and will never show respect for any of that 3. They annoy the living crappola out of me.
"No holds barred....no beg your pardons..."

Loose talk: masonhellcat.wordpress.com
Foolish behaviour: youtube.com/user/MasonHellCat
Beer: hellcatsbeerblog.wordpress.com
and TV Dinner: masoandads.wordpress.com
mrtonymartin:
Hilarious 1986 ep of 'Backchat' with 'D-Generation' complaints: (starts at 1:30): http://tinyurl.com/3cfvrz8 (via @masonhellcat)

LSNut
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by LSNut » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:32 am

I stand by my defending Kate Langbroek in particular .. I still reckon you put any other female on 'The Panel' and they wilt .. just sit there like smiling teenagers - at least Kate has something to say ..

As for Fifi Box .. oh man what can I say about her performance on TGYH on Wednesday !!!

Speaking of Weds ep - loved it again .. Sean M is almost too clever for the show though.. continue to love Angus Sampson & Matthew Newton is a good performer but the banana thing was clutching at spanners a bit..
Traction Jackson

foolhardycousingeorge
Australia's Best Dressed

RE: Who wrote the review of 'Thank God You're here'

Post by foolhardycousingeorge » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:20 pm

Can I take a wild guess and say Robert Fidgeon wrote that review?

Sure, any new comedy show with an untested concept will take a while to 'find its feet.'

I can remember RF's positive reviews of Fast Forward back in the early nineties, while, under the pseudonym of 'Insider: The Fearless TV Critic', he constantly bagged The Late Show.

Honestly, sometimes one gets the impression that Fidgey probably believes that Australian comedy attained its creative peak with Mavis Bramston.

I sat down to watch the first ep of TGYH, and I enjoyed it right away.

Does this make me less discerning just because, unlike RF, I'm not a TV critic who's been writing about TV since the 1950s?
LSNut wrote:Oh.. and there was a review in todays Feral-Pun (Herald-Sun) ... 3 out of 5 stars allow me to provide this little snippet ..

(cue Tony Martins 1950's radio-reel voice)

'Shane Bourne is a great host, but Tom Gleisner's "judging" of each sketch seems little more than an excuse to deliver a few not always funny lines..'

50c to anyone who guesses which of our old friends wrote this "review" :D
".....that's what's ahead here on Martin Molloy; the only radio show with an inner core of sphagnum."